Energy security in face of growing demands for example in the area of transport is one of the main challenges of the future. The political uncertainty, pressures and restrictions faced by energy markets throughout the world encourage European countries to look for greater diversification of suppliers, and to look more closely at issues of energy security and nuclear safety.
New Direction is exploring the following subjects:
- Greater interconnectivity of energy supply
- Greater energy independence and the resilience of Member States
- Crisis management for energy supply crises
- Energy security and national sovereignty
- The energy sector in the single market
- Industrial and energy policy